Monday 18 April 2011

Baking on a mission!

It was my beautiful Goddaughter and her baby brother's Christening yesterday.  My gift?  60 cupcakes!




I've never baked so much (well in one go) before, and it was a massive challenge - especially when the first 20 or so cupcakes sank due to my slightly dodgy oven.  But I perservered and I think they came out pretty well...if only they were all exactly the same, the perfectionist I am :)

For anyone interested, I used the hummingbird vanilla cupcake recipe, and my own improvised vanilla buttercream recipe (150g unsalted butter, 500g icing sugar and a generous glug or two of milk).  I then coloured some ready made royal icing and cut out some little stars and topped with edible glitter.  They all disappeared within about 20 minutes so a job well done, if I do say so myself :)

Now I just have to brace myself for the incoming orders...eeek!  Do you ever give homemade gifts?

8 comments:

  1. Oh my, they look absolutely delicious! Bagsie that one on the bottom row, third from left :D

    What a fabulous gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome gift, and they look lovely.

    I made cookies for a friend's birthday a few weeks back, and foodie gifts can be great, particularly if receivers have too much stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh They look delicious!!!! I've only done once cupcakes and their final appearance was not great... :( And they was too hard... :(

    Superblua

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Konnie - you'd have had to fight everyone for it! :)

    @Fashion Junkie - I love baking for my friends, it's so much more personal than something they don't really need...though I usually get them that as well!

    @Superblua - ahhh you have to keep trying, it's definitely rewarding when you get the skills down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love cupcakes, everytime I see one I wana dash in and get one! xoxo

    Enter my giveaway to win a pair of designer sunglasses
    www.fashionsbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy - I love them too! Though I could only manage to eat one this time...it was all too much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, they look super yummy! I love cupcakes! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw the pic of these on your friends twitter they look fab - I sometimes make gingerbreads at xmas and put them into nice cellophane bags.

    I love homemade gifts x

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments x